Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

Hi.. Please could you help? Im thinking about moving in with

Customer Question

Hi.. Please could you help? Im thinking about moving in with my partner but she is worried about
Losing her tax credits. Im self employed workin between 13 and 16 hours per week
With a low profit of between £4k and £6k per year. How could we find out if she would
Lose them? Or how much it would be reduced? (if she did she wouldn't be able to afford her mortgage on her wages alone and my profit)
Expert:  Sam replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your question

As we cannot advise a specific calculation for tax credits. I have added a link for your girlfriend to use, which is the tax credit calculator, which will allow her to put both of your details into, to establish the amount of tax credits, your move in, would affect her claim by. This allows a confidentiality for your girlfriend with her own personal details and earnings. I can advise though that her tax credits will be affected by you moving in, as her claim changes from a single claim to a joint with a higher income, but this will allow you to establish the true cost.

http://taxcredits.hmrc.gov.uk/Qualify/DIQHousehold.aspx

Do feel free to ask any follow up questions, but if you could be kind enough to rate the level of service I have provided, it would be appreciated.

Expert:  Sam replied 4 years ago.

I hope you found the calculator helpful, can I be of any further assistance?