TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

I registered for VAT and my number commenced on 1st June 2013.

Customer Question

I've been selling on eBay since February 2013 and thus paid 15% VAT (or Luxembourg equivalent) up until 1st June 2013. From 1st June I informed eBay of my VAT number and thus do not get charged the Luxembourg VAT (where eBay is registered). I reverse VAT charge myself for the 'no VAT charge' eBay now offer me now I have a UK VAT number which is all fine.

However, how do I go about claiming back the previous 15% tax paid up until June 2013? Can I claim this back on my usual VAT return to HMRC UK?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Nicola,

I would prefer to wait for an answer please.

In accountancy terms it's quite a simple question to answer so can't imagine the search will last that much longer.

Zak

Hello Zak,

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Hello Zak,

I apologise as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'd like to hold on for an answer please.

Zak

Hello Zak,

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 3 years ago.
Hello Zak,
Thank you for your patience. Actually the answer is no. You would not be allowed to reclaim the VAT you paid before you registered unfortunately.
Of course now that you have registered and have supplied that number to E-bay you are exempt for the VAT purpose with them.
Business sellers typically are not able to reclaim VAT paid on eBay fees from their local VAT authorities.
Even under certain circumstances a seller would only be allowed to reclaim if the goods are still held by you or they have been used to make other goods you still hold.
I know after waiting so long it is an extra disappointment to receive an answer that is not beneficial.