TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

Hi, I pay £21,000 per annum rent on a 600 year old property,

Customer Question

I pay £21,000 per annum rent on a 600 year old property, and am
charged vat on top of this. I have been adviced that this isn't right.
Could you advise me please as to whether this is correct or if I have
Cause for concern.
Kath
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for posting your question.
Your reference to the age of the building is most likely what has caused a delay in responding to you. I personally could find no exception to the VAT based on the age you have referenced. You mentioned that you have been told that VAT is not correct in your situation.
I would have to ask why the advice was given you and under what law or exception was applied?
While the landlord's option may sometimes be described as 'opting to tax the rent' from a particular property, the landlord is in fact opting to make the service of letting the property chargeable to VAT.
If you would be able to advise on the reason behind the advice you were given I would be more than happy to look further at that specific reason.