Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

If a UK Company invested in a Turkish Land & Property and it

Customer Question

If a UK Company invested in a Turkish Land & Property and it was all dealt with through Intercompany accounts but the shares of the UK company are held in a Holding company - what are the tax implications of the investment making a loss and which company would it apply to e.g. the Ltd company or the holding company?
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

Please advise where the holding company is based.
Is the investment in Turkish land and property in the books of the UK company?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The holding company us based in the uk. The Turkish property and land was set up as a Turkish company with the money coming from a uk ltd company that the holding company holds 100% shares in

Josie
Josie, thank you for your reply.

You say the Turkish property and land was acquired with funds coming from the UK company. Who owns the Turkish company?

UK company is 100% owned by the Holding Company also based in the UK.
Is there any trade between the UK company and the Turkish company or were the funds a loan to the Turkish company?

Is the fixed asset in the books of the Turkish company?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The Turkish company was owned by the same person who owns the uk companies and 1 other partner. There was no trade just a loan to the Turkish company and no assets were in the uk company. The Turkish company made a loss and was unable to repay the loan and now we are unsure how that loss would be dealt with for tax purposes and in which company.

Josie
Josie, thank you for your reply.

I am going to opt out and let another expert help you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok thank you
thanks.. please do not reply to this.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Wasn't answered
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.