Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I AM RETIRED BUT PAY TAX ON MY COMPANY PENSION,WILL I NEED

Customer Question

I AM RETIRED BUT PAY TAX ON MY COMPANY PENSION,WILL I NEED TO CONTINUE TO PAY TAX IF I LIVE OVERSEAS FOR 90 DAYS TWICE A YEAR
Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your question

Yes you will, because this will still deem you to be a resident of the UK.

The new residency rules state that you will meet one of the automatic residency tests and for you the only one that might apply is that you have spent less than 46 days each tax year, in the UK in the past 3 years - which does not apply to you.

So next its the sufficient ties test - but as you spend more than 90 days living in the UK, these will all fail, but these look at whether you have a home in the UK, or family ties (such as spouse or children), work ties etc

Whilst at most you might have just the one ties, if you own your own property, you exceed the maximum amount of days permitted for even a consideration of non residency and non taxation of UK income (your pension)

Do feel free to ask any follow up questions, but please do take the trouble to rate the level of service I have provided, as this ensures I am paid by JustAnswer.