Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

Hi - Ive just completed my first self-assessment for 2012-13.

Customer Question

Hi - I've just completed my first self-assessment for 2012-13. I became self-employed as a Music Practitioner in August last year. I've calculated my expenses based on all allowable receipts that I know of and have been sent confirmation that my bill will be around £2,600 based on my net profits of around £15,000. I will also be charge a further amount of around £1300 on account towards my 2013-14 bill. I don't have any discrepancy with these calculations but it does seem a lot. I would like some advice as to whether it would be in my financial interests to engage an accountant for future tax returns - it seems rather a lot to pay in tax and perhaps there are certain allowances that I may be unaware of?
Expert:  TonyTax replied 3 years ago.

Can you tell me to which date you have drawn up your first accounts please. Would you mind also giving me a note of your fees and a breakdown of your expenses? Did you have any other income in 2012/13?