TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

Scenario: 1) I bought some bitcoins 3 years ago for £1000,

Scenario:
1) I bought some bitcoins 3 years ago for £1000, this equated to say $2000 at the time
2) I sell some bitcoins an exchange on the internet based in Japan for $100,000, this remains on my exchange account for two months
3) I withdraw the $100,000 into my UK account and that ends up in my UK bank account as £60,000

Do I simply owe CGT on £59000 (- the £10900 alllowance)

Is the taxable event the date at sale for dollars, or at the movement to GBP, or both?

How should that be calculated?
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.

Tax jurisdictions have still to catch up with bitcoins so the tax treatment may not yet be set in stone. Having said that, if you buy foreign currency and hold onto it for a period of time and it is not purely for domestic use such as holiday spending or international business travel expenditure for example and you make a gain when you sell it, that gain will be taxable assuming you are UK resident and UK domiciled.

If your original investment was £1,000, you would need to convert the disposal proceeds into Sterling at the rate prevailing at the date of sale to be able to calculate the gain. If the proceeds were £60,000, then your gain is £59,000 and you can deduct the £10,900 annual CGT exemption from that to arrive at the net taxable gain.

There are two rates of CGT, 18% and 28%. The rate or combination of rates that you pay will be dependent on the level of your income in the tax year that you dispose of the gains. If the gain arises in the current tax year, one of the following scenarios will apply:

1 If your income in 2013/14 including the taxable gain is £41,450 or less then all the taxable gain will be taxed at 18%.

2 If your income in 2013/14 excluding the taxable gain is more than £41,450 then all the taxable gain will be taxed at 28%.

3 If your income excluding the taxable gain is less than £41,450 but more than £41,450 when you include the taxable gain then part of it will be taxed at 18% and part at 28%.

The date of sale or the date of a contract to sell is the tax point for UK tax purposes. The fact that the money wasn't repatriated for two months is not relevant.

Click on the link headed "Bit of a dilemma" here for some commentary on bitcoins and tax. I've given you the search page as a direct link to "Taxation" may not work.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just to clarify, that there are two taxable events:

The initial sale for USD, If the value of $100,000 at the time of sale is at the current rate of exchange £58,000, is the first taxable event, at £58,000

But by the time it hits my account a month or two later, its £59,000, that additional £1000 is a separate taxable event?

Or conversely, if it only comes through as £57,000, I can offset that £1000 as losses?

Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
Gains on currency exchange are subject to CGT and losses are deductible so long as the money wasn't merely being held for personal domestic use.

When you sold the coins, the proceeds were £58,000. The exchange into sterling gave you another gain of £1,000. I'd also disclose that as a gain. If the exchange into Sterling had resulted in a loss of £1,000, I'd claim that as such.
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience: Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.

JustAnswer in the News UK:

Web sites like Justanswer/legal...leave nothing to chance.
JustAnswer has an even simpler system. Got a problem? Just describe it, and indicate how much you're willing to pay for an answer. One of the experts will get back to you fast.
People can connect one-on-one with UK Car Mechanics on JustAnswer, 24/7, and ask auto questions for a small fee. If you have an auto repair question, ask a UK Car Mechanic now by going to www.justanswer.co.uk/car
As-a-doc Web sites: if you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers....JustAnswer.
JustAnswer... Has seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Mr Pole-Carew contacted Value and was told that the £820 taken was the company’s ‘estimate’ of the cost to repair the clutch. He said he had contacted a Ford adviser on JustAnswer who told him ‘a perfectly good clutch is highly unlikely to fail from four to five hours of good, or even very bad, driving'.