bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I am a subcontractor who pays other subcontractors under the

Customer Question

I am a subcontractor who pays other subcontractors under the CIS construction industry scheme. I complete a contractors monthly return CIS 300 and pay the tax due monthly by cheque. Since April this year I have been receiving letters advising I have missed the deadline for RTE reporting and they want PAYE/NIC/SLD Dedns amounting to £600 +. The subcontractors I pay are all self employed to pay their own NIC's. I have spoken to my own accountant regarding this matter but he does not seem to know the answer. I have also telephoned HMRC at various times this year and get nowhere. One person I spoke to at HMRC said I should not be paying any more because I am on this CIS construction scheme. Do you know where I could write a letter to, which dept. Thanks.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

You write to the tax office who handles your account. Furthermore write to the office demanding the 600 quid and tell them you do not owe anything and why this is the case. Presumably you have kept a record of all your CIS submissions. It is not unusual for the right hand of HMRC not to know what the left hand one is doing!
Thank you for your support.