bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

Hi,I am at my wits end,i got a tax bill for m husband for over

Customer Question

Hi,I am at my wits end,i got a tax bill for m husband for over 1 million pounds! I don't know what hes done.obviously hasn't declaired income from land sale or something.he now has alzhiemers,and cant remember much about anything.i only took over the buseness a year ago.and have been spot on with everything,but this tax bill goes back to 1993 before we were married????
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

Don't panic, it is not unknown for HMRC to make a mistake in these cases and get the amount wrong. Put it in the hands of your agent and tell them of your husband's condition. He or she can ask for an explanation of what and why they are on about. In any event a 1993 debt cannot almost certainly be enforced in Scotland. The relevant rule is:

'Scotland

The Prescription and Limitation (Scotland) Act 1973 applies in Scotland and provides for a time limit of 20 years for collection of debts.

However, debts that are not classed as tax, for example settlements, are subject to the standard rules of prescription (set out at schedule 1 of the 1973 Act) which prescribes a time limit of 5 years after the last effective action.'

You are doing the right thing consulting a solicitor, he will put your mind at rest and also put HMRC back in their box!

An immediate point that comes to mind is how the busines was operated, for example was it a company, if so it's probably a company debt and nothing to do with the individual?