Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I used to earn quite well in my previous job, I earned 12376

Customer Question

I used to earn quite well in my previous job, I earned 12376 before tax and paid 1372 tax until month 7 of this tax year now I have been unemployed and been on jobseekers and housing benefits on 3 months receiving ca. 500 per month. I am now starting a new job with 13797 income before tax per year, with 37 hrs per week.

I was wondering how much I will get taxed in my first pay. Will they reduce my new monthly income by the right amount of tax and then increase my monthly net. income in the new tax year? Or will I quite likely get paid too much and then need to pay tax back?

What figures will I be looking at?
Expert:  TonyTax replied 3 years ago.

I cannot work out the figures unless I know exactly how much you will earn for your first month in your new job. When do you start? Will you get a full month's pay for the first month or a percentage for a part month? What tax code were you on in your old job? Did you get a P45 to hand to the jobcentre when you left that job? If so, let me know the gross and tax figures. Have you had a P45 from the jobcentre? If so, let me know the gross and tax figures?