Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I am a Saudi Arabian Citizen, had money transferred from Malaysia

Customer Question

I am a Saudi Arabian Citizen, had money transferred from Malaysia via Standard Charterred Bank . I have paid all charges and Taxes in full in Malaysia. I have obtained IMF and Interpol clearance certificates and Tax clearance certificates uptill 30 November 2013. The money $7,400,000(Seven millions Four Hundred Thousand US Dollars) was transferred out of Malaysia on 16 October 2013.

My question is am I liable for any taxation by the British Government ?

Mucg obliged
Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your question

Cam you advise
1) Do you reside in the UK
2) How this money arose
3) If you do not reside in the UK, then what makes you feel you might be liable to UK tax

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1. No I do not reside in the UK

2. It was an inheritance

3. My associate informed me that the money was held by the bank of England for some sort of Taxes that they will inform me of on Monday. This information he obtained from the Bank branch in Malaysia.

I was surprised, I have paid all taxes and the fund was officially investigated and cleared by Interpol, Imf . The Central bank of Malaysia and all charges were paid and fund was released on 16 October 2013

Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.
Hi Matar

Thanks for your response

This would appear to be a scam - as the UK government NEVER ask for taxes to be paid in order to release funds from Inheritance.

Please see this link that warns how this can arise http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/protect-yourself/inheritance-fraud

Might this be the case for you? As if this was a genuine Inheritance then the UK would never need to be involved.