taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

Having elected to receive the cash from the return of capital

Customer Question

Having elected to receive the cash from the return of capital from my Vodafone shares as capital rather than income, how do I calculate the gain please?
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

The cash back deal in the form of return of capital offered by Vodafone would mean that the whole amount you receive is capital gain. Your shareholding in Vodafone would remain the same as you are not disposing any of your origainal holding.

If your gain in the tax year is below £10,900 then you don't have to report this gain.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.