bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I work 16 hours a week and look after my bedridden mother who

Customer Question

I work 16 hours a week and look after my bedridden mother who is a care home at present but she,s coming out next month
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question. However I am a tiny bit stuck as to actually what information you require? Could you please tell me more?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Am I entitled to any tax credit with the information I,ve told you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I want to know if I,m entitled to

If you spend more than 35 hours a week caring for someone, are aged 16 or over and are not in full-time education or earning more than £100 a week, you might be eligible for Carer’s Allowance.

Although it is not means-tested, you can only receive Carer’s Allowance if you are not already claiming a State Pension or certain other benefits. But apply anyway – your ‘underlying entitlement’ to Carer’s Allowance might mean you qualify for extra Income Support, Jobseeker’s Allowance, Universal Credit or Pension Credit.

So far so good! Now:

'Conditions the person you care for must meet

Your mother must get one of these benefits:

Attendance Allowance

Disability Living Allowance - the middle or highest care rate

Constant Attendance Allowance at or above the normal maximum rate with an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit

Constant Attendance Allowance at the basic (full day) rate with a War Disablement Pension

Armed Forces Independence Payment (AFIP)

Personal Independence Payment daily living component'

'4. How to claim

You can apply for Carer’s Allowance:

On line by printing off and filling in the DS700 form or the DS700SP form if you get a State Pension, and sending it to the Carer’s Allowance Unit.

You can also get a printed form by contacting the Carer’s Allowance Unit.

Have a look at Carers Allowance on the gov.uk website and that will give you all the information you need.

I hope I have been able to help and point you in the right direction.
I am just going out shopping. If you have follow up questions I will be back within the hour.