taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

i am going to work in Libya, on a 7weeks on and 2 weeks of

i am going to work in Libya, on a 7weeks on and 2 weeks of rotation. Do I qualify for a tax reduction? Kind Regards
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

Please clarify for me...

Are you UK National and UK resident for tax purposes?
Will you have ties with the UK once you take this job in Libya?

Have you worked abroad before or is this your first job outside the UK?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am a UK National and and have a UK residence. I am ex HM Forces and currently receive a pension (which I am already taxed on). I am married and have a family who will be living in our house in the UK.

This is my first job abroad and the firm I am joining is a Maltese registered firm. I will be working 7 weeks on 2 weeks off and will be working 7 day (9 hour) weeks and believe that I will be out of the country for approx 290 days a year.

I hope that this helps and please do not hesitate if you require further information.

Yours

Philip

Philip, thank you for your reply and additional information.

From 6 Apr 2013 a new Statutory Residence Test (SRT) applies to determine an individual’s residence status fro UK tax purposes. The SRT consists of

- automatic tests for non residence

- automatic tests for residence and finally

- sufficient UK ties test for individulas who are not automatically non resident or resident.

Based on information provided, you don’t appear to meet any of the automatic overseas tests.

More information on the guidance notes for SRT in general and automatic overseas tests is covered in the guidance notes (SRT) under paras 1.5-1.7 on page s 9 and 10 of RDR3 here

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/international/rdr3.pdf

You will be regarded as UK resident (home and family living in the UK) for tax purposes and all income arising will be chargeable to UK income tax, I’m afraid.

You will be able to claim Foreign tax credit relief against any tax suffered on this income abroad.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.