bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

HI, I Have my furniture in storage and the company have

Customer Question

HI,
I Have my furniture in storage and the company have come to me with invoices for over £1100 saying that they have forgotten to charge me the increase in Vat.
Any idea where i stand on paying this outstanding amount
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

My immediate reaction is what increase in VAT? The last rise to 20% was on 4 January 2011. Could you throw a little more light on what the storage company are rabbiting about?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

they hadnt invoiced me the for the rise in vat from January 2011. and they now want me to pay it. Can they do that?

They have made a mistake in their invoicing and sound like a pretty sloppy organisation. There is enough song and dance about changes to VAT rates for any competent trader to miss the point! They could issue revised invoices and these would be valid. I would be inclined, however, as a first approach, to tell them to take a running jump and pay for their incompetent mistakes themselves. The only problem is that they may well refuse to allow you to remove your property at some future date. Try complaining to trading standards at your local authority too.

Sorry to convey such gloomy news and to check those revised invoices thoroughly. One thousand odd seems very high for a 2.5% increase in VAT.
Thank you for your support. I do hope you have success in your efforts!