taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

I was hired by an Australian company in November 2013 and was

Customer Question

I was hired by an Australian company in November 2013 and was moved by them from Scotland to Dubai. I have a Dubai residential address. After 3 months they decided not to extend my probation period. I will return to the UK on March 1st 2014. I was on a $US contract and paid into a RBS International account in Channel Islands.
Will I be liable for tax on those earnings which were approximately $150,000 ?
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

You have not stayed outside the UK for a complete tax year to avoid income being chargeable to UK income tax.

You are deemed UK resident for tax purposes and your worldwide income would be charegable to UK income tax, I'm afraid. You will be able to claim Foreign Tax Credit Relief against any foreign tax suffered on this income.

I wish I could give you more favourable news.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.