TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

Hi, I live in UK. I have my youtube chanell so I am getting

I live in UK. I have my youtube chanell so I am getting payed for advertising through adsense. Do I have to pay any tax or Vat from that? I am full time employed. Money from adsense go into my personal acount.

Kind regards,

Ieva
Expert:  TonyTax replied 3 years ago.

Income from advertising placed on your youtube channel is taxable income and should be reported in a tax return unless it is very low in which case there are other ways you can pay any tax due as opposed to completing a tax return. Take a look here for more information on that. You can deduct expenses you incur in earning that money. You can read about registering as self-employed here.

You don't need to register for VAT unless your turnover (income) from your business has been more than £79,000 in the previous 12 months or will go over that figure in the next 30 days. I'm not sure how VAT would work since it is Google who are paying you and a business would not normally charge VAT to a US company though Google has European offices. You might seek out some specialist advice if your advertising income is close to the registration threshold. Take a look here for more information on VAT.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have permament possition, where I earn 40.000 a year. Does that mean that on any earning that I reacieve from youtube I have to pay 40% tax.

Kind regards,

Ieva

Expert:  TonyTax replied 3 years ago.
In the current tax year, you start paying 40% tax if your income is more than £41,450 per annum.