taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

If shares are jointly held by a husband and wife and one partner

If shares are jointly held by a husband and wife and one partner dies how is the base cost for CGT purposes calculated for the holding that is now in the survivors sole name? Is it the original base cost, the value at the date of death of one partner, or is it the original base cost for half of the holding and the value at the date of death for the other half of the holding?
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

The new base cost for CGT purposes will be the original cost for half of the holding and the value at the date of death for the other half of the holding.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes.