taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

if i become non uk resident can i avoid uk income tax on uk

if i become non uk resident can i avoid uk income tax on uk sourced income if the country in which i reside has no bilateral tax arrangement with the uk
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

Your UK sourced income would be chargeable to UK income tax whether you are UK resident or non-resident for UK tax purposes.

If you are a resident of a country with which the UK has a DTA and not resident in the UK, you may be able to claim exemption or partial relief from UK tax on certain types of income from UK sources. You may also be able to claim exemption from Capital
Gains Tax on the disposal of assets.

More information on this can be found under Sec 9 on Page 50 of HMRC6 here

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/hmrc6.pdf

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i will be a partner in an LLP and income will crystallise is there anyway by becoming non resident i can avoid the liability

Thank you for your reply.

Income would have arisen whilst performing duties in the UK and this income would be chargeable to UK income tax, I'm afraid.

By becoming non-resident, it has a bearing on foreign income and gains and not income arising in the Uk.

I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes.