bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

My wife died in 1989. Can I use her IHT allowance against my

Customer Question

My wife died in 1989. Can I use her IHT allowance against my IHT liability when I pass away. I never married again.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

Yes, you can use the balance of her IHT allowance. If she didn't use any then you will have 650K available.

Have a look at HMRC web site 'Transferring an unused inheritance Tax threshold.' Any search engine will find it. That gives full chapter and verse including what documents you need (or your executor will need) to prove your entitlement to your late wife's allowance. It is fairly self explanatory, but gets a bit frightening towards the end with nitty gritty detail like woodlands. As we know everybody has huge holdings of woodlands, I don't think!

Transfer is only available for a second death after 9 October 2007 and as you have raised the question I think you comply! The Sunday Telegraph article was misleading as you will see from the HMRC advice.

I do hope I have given you the news you were seeking.
Thank you for your support.