bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

Hi I have to work over 120 miles away from my home, as I cannot

Customer Question

Hi I have to work over 120 miles away from my home, as I cannot afford to move closer to my work, I am an aircraft engineer so I need to be near airports. I am renting a room can I claim this against my tax?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

I assume that you are employed and paid under PAYE arrangements. If that is the case then then you can only have one place of employment and any other location where you work counts as duty away from your normal place of employment and subsistence, including temporary accommodation cost, is allowable against tax. However, if for example you live near Gatwick and work normally at Heathrow then the travel between the two locations is travel from residence to place of business and not allowable against tax.

I hope I have been able to help you with your problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That is not the question I asked. I only have one employment I live in Lincoln and Work at Luton airport, That is to far to commute so I rent a room while I also pay a mortgage on my house. Can I claim the room rental against my TAX

Thank you for clarifing your situation. Unfortunately you cannot claim your room rental against tax. That you choose to work on a permanent basis so far from your home is your personal decision and does not attract tax relief. Your mortgage interest is not allowable against tax either and has not been these 20 years.
Thank you for your support.