Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

can my wifes earnings be coupled to mine for tax coding !

Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your question, I am Sam, one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.

Could you expand on your question please ? Have one of you unused personal allowances, if so, which one of you, and what are your ages (so I can also provide information on any eligible married couples allowance)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

my wife has unused allowance of over £5000!

Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.

And can you advise your month and year of birth please

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will be 70 in July and my wife will be 68 in April

Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your response

I am sorry to say that as neither of you were born before 06/04/1935 - then there is no married couples allowance, which is the ONLY transferrable allowance between spouses.

The main personal allowance is sadly lost if not utilised by the individual, so this cannot be added to yours.

I am sorry the news is not better.
Whether there is scope to review any savings/investments. joint income is the other only consideration,