Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

Hi, Ive been working in Kuwait in since last July (2013) with

Hi, I've been working in Kuwait in since last July (2013) with only 4 weeks in the UK on rest and visa renewal. I am likely to continue to work in Kuwait until June this year (2014). During this period I have been on PAYE and paid UK tax. Can I claim a partial tax refund?
Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your question

I am afraid as your employment abroad will not last over a period that spans one full tax year, that you will not be due any tax refund, and will be treated as resident in the UK throughout the whole period, and therefore liable to UK tax.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If I were to continue in Kuwait until the end of January 2015, would I be able to claim refund for whole of previous year?

Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.

No it would have to last past 05/04/2015 for you to be considered as not resident and subsequently free of UK tax.

If this is the case then you can either
1) Complete form P85 now, in advance do HMRC can issue code NT to operate from now on in, against this UK employment OR
2) Wait until after 05/04/2015, for HMRC to review the whole period from July 2013 to the date you finally return to the UK

But for either case, HMRC will ask you to complete a self assessment tax return at each year end (so 05/04/2014 and 05/04/2015)