taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

Does my daughter have to pay council tax if she is on housing

Does my daughter have to pay council tax if she is on housing benefit?
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

Housing benefit and Council tax reduction are two separate things..

Housing benefit helps you pay your rent if you are on a low income. How much you get depends on your income and circumstances.

Council tax reduction is assessed by the local Coucil and how much reduction you get depends on where you live, your circumstances, your household income and if you have children or adults living with you.

The eligibility criteria for Council tax reduction is that you pay Council tax and that you are on a low income or claiming benefits.

I would advise that your daughter contacts her local council to apply for Council tax reduction.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.