taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

Hi! I am living in Jordan and working for the EU being paid

Hi! I am living in Jordan and working for the EU being paid in euros. I will be here for the next 16 months and will only return in that time for 3 weeks in total.At the end of my contract here I will return to live in the UK. For the tax year 2014/15 will I have to pay UK tax on my income for the 2014/15 year even if I have not been resident there. I do have a permanent home in the UK.
I would be grateful for your assistance with this query.
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

Provided you work full time abroad for the complete tax year 2014/15 (6 Apr 2014 to 5 Apr 2015) and spend less than 91 days in the UK in that tax year, then you would be trated as non-resident for tax purposes as you would meet one of the automatic overseas tests for residency.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That's very clear and thank you .In short your advice would be that I would therefore not be required to pay UK taxes on that income?

I was advised previously,that after the year ,when I return ,with my earned income,that income then becomes subject to UK taxes?

John, if you stay outside the UK for the complete tax year, your overseas income in that tax year is not chargeable to UK income tax.

If you are happy and there are no more issues I will appreciate if you would kindly rate the service I provided to ensure I get credited for it.

I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes.