How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4995
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

Hi! I am living in Jordan and working for the EU being paid

Resolved Question:

Hi! I am living in Jordan and working for the EU being paid in euros. I will be here for the next 16 months and will only return in that time for 3 weeks in total.At the end of my contract here I will return to live in the UK. For the tax year 2014/15 will I have to pay UK tax on my income for the 2014/15 year even if I have not been resident there. I do have a permanent home in the UK.
I would be grateful for your assistance with this query.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert: replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

Provided you work full time abroad for the complete tax year 2014/15 (6 Apr 2014 to 5 Apr 2015) and spend less than 91 days in the UK in that tax year, then you would be trated as non-resident for tax purposes as you would meet one of the automatic overseas tests for residency.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That's very clear and thank you .In short your advice would be that I would therefore not be required to pay UK taxes on that income?

I was advised previously,that after the year ,when I return ,with my earned income,that income then becomes subject to UK taxes?

Expert: replied 3 years ago.
John, if you stay outside the UK for the complete tax year, your overseas income in that tax year is not chargeable to UK income tax.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you are happy and there are no more issues I will appreciate if you would kindly rate the service I provided to ensure I get credited for it.

Expert: replied 3 years ago.
I thank you for accepting my answer.

Best wishes.