bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I work offshore and have not lived in UK since march 2013.

Customer Question

I work offshore and have not lived in UK since march 2013. I am PAYE, how can I claim my tax back?
Expert:  TonyTax replied 3 years ago.

Can you tell me what you do for a living and where you have been living and working for the past year. Do you work for a UK based or overseas based employer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I WORK ON GAS/oil platforms IN THE NORTH/NORTH SEA AND MY COMPANY ARE A UK BASED COMPANY( WOODGROUP PSN) I WORK A 2 WEEK ON 2 WEEK OFF ROTATION MY TIME OFF IS SPENT WHOLEY IN THAILAND WHERE I LIVE.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 3 years ago.

I'm going to opt out of this question as there are some complex rules around the taxing or not of oil rig workers in the North Sea with which I'm not that familiar. Hopefully, another expert will be able to help you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK WHEN WILL I GET MY ANSWER?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

I regret to have to tell you that the rules for your work are so complex that HMRC will not publish them. Employees have to contact their tax offices on an individual basis to determine their liability to UK Income Tax.

I trust that when you left the UK for Thailand originally that you filed a P85 with your tax office? If you did not you should as soon a possible.

I am sorry that we experts cannot be more helpful in this matter, but everybody's hands are tied when it comes to oil and gas rig workers. I hope you like living in Thailand, I have a Thai wife and visit regularly.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What is or what does a P85 form consist off? And yes I certainly do love living in koh chang with my thai wife.
Just enter 'UK Tax Form P85' in any search engine and up will come HMRC's Find a Form page with the relevant information.
bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience: FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
Thank you for your support.

Thai wives are great, I have no regrets.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have read the p85 form, I am not too clever on tax forms? If I phone my tax office will they submit help me fill in iver phone? Ps wish I would of married my wife earlier they are very caring when getting provided for obviously?
I don't know if you see much UK media, but HMRC receive endless stick for leaving taxpayers ringing out for up to 40 minutes then disconnecting without replying. I thus don't reckon much on your chances there! That link I gave you shows a P85, just print it off, fill it up and send it in. It seems pretty simple. You should include with it a letter explaining your work patterns as a rig worker and Thai residence to get an appropriate ruling as to your tax status. You must get that P85 in to get the ball rolling.