bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

My fiancee and and I are considering getting married.We are

Customer Question

My fiancee and and I are considering getting married.We are both in our 80s and would
like some advice on the advantages/disadvantages of getting married with regard to
what changes in pension we could expect.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question

Right, my immediate question is what sort of pensions are you both receiving? As you may know in some schemes (eg military pensions) some widows/widowers benefits cease on remarriage.

Your State Pensions are individually earned and not affected by subsequent remarriage. In the event of the demise of one partner there may be a possible entitlement to additional benefits for the survivor. For example my wife inherits 70% of the SERPS element to my State Pension, As you may be aware the old widows and widowers pensions no longer exist for life, they do, of course, for those already in issue. New bereavements only receive a bereavement allowance for a year.

I will at this stage not go into more detail, but will await your reply. I shall be out until about 3pm (1500 hrs) today..