Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

The tax man is threatening bankruptcy unless i pay 15000 owing

Customer Question

The tax man is threatening bankruptcy unless i pay 15000 owing for 6 years but iam unemployed at present and i have been for 2 years
I thought under the law poverty was a good reason to write off the old tax
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your question and I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with HMRC.

First I must advise, that HMRC will not write off tax that is owed, having I am interested to know the position that you say you only owe £7500 yet HMRC are chasing for £15,000 - can you advise a little more about this please.
Are the additional amounts penalties, or due to the fact the tax returns were not filed on time, and the tax, thought to be owed was estimated ....

Lets see if we can at least look at this issue, then I can advise further from there.

Please also advise whether you were employed or self employed for the 6 years in question - and were tax returns expected - if so, why were they not filed on time.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Iam self employed for 30 years my income has dropped for the last 3 years that is why I am in trouble the amounts owed is interest and surchages for not paying the full amount on ttime

Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your response

But you advise that you feel you only owe £7500 but they are chasing for £15,000 - please expand on this aspect

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

In the past HMRC records were not good so they cannot trace the payments but I have remittance slips and paid cheques.

Thanks and I hope you will not charge extra for this because my computer failed and I could come back to you.

Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your response

The amount you pay is what you offered when you initially posted the question, which covers the cost of the topic you have raised, and this is passed onto me, if and when you accept/rate the service, so there are no further charges on using Just Answer.

HMRC records are very detailed when payments are made, as the IRIS system and the what was the Collections office system (not Dent management) records each cheque received.

But interest and penalties would have continued to have accrued, so I have to assume that you still owe tax and the charges within the £15,000 are not just interest, surcharges and penalties -

But all you need to do is gather together your bank or credit card statements (if you do not have these, then ask the bank and credit card company to provide duplicates - which they do for the last 6 years) and contact HMRC to go through all the payments you have made to HMRC, to ensure that correspond with what HMRC have received, and unless you were also an employer - then you can rest assured that payments were not paid onto the wrong Payment account.

So you also need to ask HMRC for a detailed breakdown of what has arisen when - in terms of what you owe, and what they have recorded as paid, so you can compare the position, If they have made a mistake, then they will be willing to rectify this.

However - to take this forward (whether the amount HMRC state is owed is correct or not) I would urge you get in touch with a debt organisation who may be able to put processes in place to avoid bankruptcy, and instead put in place a voluntary insolvency plan.

The National Debt helpline are one of the biggest organisations let me know if you need their contact details.