Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I recently started to work as self employed. However, I am

I recently started to work as self employed. However, I am quite new and do not generate any income yet. For a while, my civil partner is supporting me financially, for the last 4 years.

1) Does the money I receive from my civil partner - comes to my personal bank account- have to be declared in the self assessment? Basically from his salary, he is giving some money to me to cover my personal expenses.

2) I am working as a therapist and my partner wants to receive sessions from me. In this case, he will pay for my service and I will invoice him. And I believe I should declare this as an income. Will the HMRC confuse this with his personal support as I mentioned above? Should I do anything else to clear any confusion?

3) I started to work in a clinic as a self employed therapist. How will I invoice my patients? At the end of each session by giving an invoice?
Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your questions and for asking for me

Lets look at your questions

No this is not income and does not have to be declared to HMRC -

Yes in this case, this will be income and is to be declared and as for this particular occasion you will be raising an invoice like you do for all other clients, then this is separation enough, and it might also be advisable to have a separate bank account for your self employed work - so this separates the two types of payment further.

AS you are providing an immediate service - then it makes sense that you ensure payment is received from the client before they vacate the premises, but in some instances - you might find that a client has booked a set of sessions, in which case, its up to you whether this is paid in advance, or broken down into payments per session.