bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

Can you tell me when my second vat return is due as my very

Customer Question

Can you tell me when my second vat return is due as my very first return was after 4 months, therefore is the next one due after 2 or 3 months and every 3 months thereafter.
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your question, I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.

See table here from HMRC website

Deadlines for submitting your VAT Return

You must submit your return so that HMRC receives it by the due date. And this varies for each business depending on from what date you registered rom.

This deadline is shown on your online return and is normally one calendar month and seven days after the end of your VAT period.

Accounting period ending

Deadline for VAT Return submitted online

30 September 2013 7 November 2013
31 October 2013 7 December 2013
30 November 2013 7 January 2014
31 December 2013 7 February 2014
31 January 2014 7 March 2014
28 February 2014 7 April 2014

So you can work out from the first VAT return from what period it took you up to, and then work forward 3 months to get the next accounting end date. From there, that return is due one month and 7 days after.
But HMRC write and notify you - either through the paper return being issued OR by a letter detailing a return is due for an online file, but if you still cannot determine the date your return is next due then phone the VA
T helpline - their opening hours
8.00 am to 6.00 pm, Monday to Friday
Closed weekends and bank holidays
Telephone number is XXXXX(NNN) NNN-NNNN
They can clarify the account period and due date

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry but you haven't told me anything I didn't already know. Can you please read my question again. My company registered for vat on the 1st of October and my first vat return was for four months to the end of January so I want to know when the next one is due. I know that the returns are quarterly but because the very first return is 4 months when is the next one due. Please do not send quotes from hmrc. Thankyou
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your response - I am sorry you are not happy with the reply, but I am sure you can appreciate we are not HMRC and do not have access to
1) Your accounting periods
2) Your registration date
3) Your Tax/VAT records.

So all I can do is advise you based on the last return submitted and your accounts - when the returns arise, and by when they are due.
The information I have copied and pasted from the HMRC website is only to support my answer, so you can see its actual legislation, rather than my opinion, as its important you have the correct information.

And with respect you neither told me you had registered 1st October in your initial question nor that that first return took you up January you stated
"Can you tell me when my second vat return is due as my very first return was after 4 months, therefore is the next one due after 2 or 3 months and every 3 months thereafter.
Thank you. "
So I have supplied you with the answer to determine this yourself and also contact details to HMRC to clarify your next due date.

I have no way of knowing all the combined information needed to establish your usual VAT due date!

Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question. Your Form VAT4, Certificate of Registration for Value Added Tax, will tell you the quarterly dates upon which you make your return. This was sent to you to confirm your registration. It is imperative you keep this document; I know of a company where HMRC demanded a confirmation of the registration after some 10 years of trading!

Incidentally, the VAT on line system will not usually allow you to make returns for an incorrect period.