Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I have been requested to send a Money Gram to the portuguese

I have been requested to send a Money Gram to the portuguese tax Office to pay tax on a sale of Holiday Club Membership to enable the funds from the sale to be released. The Money Gram is to be addressed to Antonio Jose Correia De Sousa. Is this Genuine ?
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your question

First can I ask did you have a Holiday Club membership to sell, or is this something you have inherited?
But assuming you do have a genuine membership to sell then I fear this a scam due to the fact you are being asked to send a money gram to an individual also does not ring true. Plus the name of the company offering to buy the membership is well known as being a scam outfit.

See this link here re this company

http://mindtimeshare.me/2011/04/30/beware-of-viva-connect/
Although this is on the basis on a non refundable payment upfront, I feat the "tax" you pay will still see you not receiving any funds back.

Let me know if you have any follow up questions

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The person named is stated to be the tax agent .This I received in a telex which appears to be a genuine document from the Portugese tax office in Lisbon.This was headed Governo De Portugal Ministrio Das Financas.

I am anxious to sort this matter out as the amount I have sold the membership for is in excess of £1700 The Tax amount is stated to be 9%

Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.

The company Viva Connect are a scam - just search for their name in Google - and it will come up with hundreds of reports of those having been scammed by this company.

All they have done is change their tactics from asking for a holding deposit up front - to now stating that you have to pay tax - they walk away with your payment and you end up that much out of pocket, and the membership unsold.

Whether the documents you are sent look genuine or not the money is not for the Portuguese tax department.

Did you read the comments made on the link I gave you - so many have been scammed on deposits and tax requests -

Sam, Accountant
Experience: 26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax