bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

Hello Is it normal for someone renting an apartment in London

Customer Question

Is it normal for someone renting an apartment in London to pay the landlord for taxes on the property?

My girlfriend's landlord is say that she has to and I feel like she is being scammed.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

On your question I could not possibly comment upon the landlord's activities. Having said that, however, it all depends upon the terms of the tenancy agreement. The terminology used to be exclusive or inclusive rents. If the tenant was on the former then they were liable for all rates (council tax now, of course). If the latter then the opposite applied. Exclusive rents tended to be lower than inclusive ones.

So you must check the tenancy agreement carefully to see if your girl friends landlord is pulling a fast one.

Over the years though the nomenclature has changed and some all inclusive rents include water and other utility bills met by the landlord. It's back to the tenancy agreement again, sorry.

Hope I have been of some help, but the ball is now in your court.
Thank you for your support.