bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I would like some help in working out whether or not I can

Customer Question

I would like some help in working out whether or not I can declare myself non-resident from the UK for tax purposes when I move to Bangladesh in June 2014, when this would take effect from, and whether I would be permitted to return to the UK for an extended period e.g. for maternity leave. Many thanks
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

On leaving the UK you need to complete Form P85 and send it to HMRC, PAYE, PO Box 190, Liverpool, L75 1WX. That is the first stage. You will be treated as no longer resident once you have completed a full tax year out of the UK.

As a non-resident you can visit the UK for a maximum of 91 days in each tax year. Normally illness of yourself or your immediate family does not count towards the magic 91, but I suspect that a normal pregnancy will not be accepted as an illness. I would be inclined to check with your tax office. Of course if you are within the 91, it doesn't matter. If the maternity time is in the tax year in which you leave, which, from you question appears to be the case, it won't matter anyway. It might perhaps be better to delay the P85 process until you finally go to Bangladesh with your offspring.