taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

I will soon be receiving a Public Service work based pension

Customer Question

I will soon be receiving a Public Service work based pension from New Zealand, it is classed as 'tax paid' by the NZ Tax Authority (this is because New Zealand gives no tax relief to pension contributions so tax is not levied on pension payments).
1. Will I have to pay UK Tax on this or does HMRC's principle of not taxing income twice apply?
2. If UK tax is unavoidable do you have any suggestions of how to deal with it?
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

I have sought confirmation from HMRC technical section.. and I am advised that if pension/income is not taxable in New Zealand then it is not taxable in the UK under Double Taxation agreement.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.