Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

Hello, I am a pensioner but have now taken work as a film

Hello, I am a pensioner but have now taken work as a film extra, I am self employed. I had a bill for tax last year as it was above what I'm allowed?! Iv'e since been told by other film extras on a pension that I can claim expenses, Diesal, clothes, hair and anything I need regarding film work. I contacted the tax office who were less than helpful and they have sent me a form to fill in I think it's a P87 form. It says only complete if your allowable expenses exceed £2,500, if more then to request a self assessment tax return instead. My question is this. What is my allowable expenses? Does what I'm allowed to earn include my pension?. (I haven't got a clue what I'm doing). I earned around £2,506.69 in the tax year April 2013 to this April 2014. That is gross for my film work, then the agents take their commission off that and booking fees, then there is my diesal for getting to locations etc. Do I need a paye form or just send them a covering letter with this expenses form they've sent me I think it's a P87 but could be wrong. Please could you explain it so I know what I need to fill in exactly. I get a basic state pension and a private pension of around £37 ish a month. Linda Hedley
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
HI Linda

Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.

Hair and clothes are not allowable (and if the other film extra are claiming these, then they will be disallowed, as unless the clothes are specialised such as a uniform then are never permitted)
Even TV presenters are not allowed a claim for hair and clothes !
And whilst I appreciate you may make a purchase that is role specific for the scene you are in, you could (if you wished) wear these on any occasion.

But diesel yes, as this takes you to and from the locations, so work out your mileage undertaken and you can claim 45p a mile for the first 10,000 miles and then its 25p a mile for any mileage in excess of that threshold. And any overnight stays, so the cost of the overnight stay and any subsistence for breakfast.
And yes the agents commission is an allowable expense too

Any insurances you might have are allowable, as are the costs to travel to apply for a film extra role (and any admin such as stationary stamps telephone, internet use - if you search and apply online) and any magazine purchases you make for job advertisements.

But other then this, I am afraid there is not much more.

As you are self employed with this film extra work you should already be registered for self assessment, so I have no idea why you have been sent a P87 claim from (as this relates to employment expenses and you are self employed )

I can only assume you have registered for self assessment ?

If you have then you should already have completed a self assessment tax return for the tax year 2012/2013 - and this will just need amending to claim the relevant expenses - let me know if you need any help calculating this amount - but your pension is not an expense - its an income - and this would have been declared as such by you already as has the private pension)

If you have not completed a self assessment - then let me know and I can advise further

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You didn't actually answer the question I asked. I wasn't asking what I could claim for, I already know, (all the other extras I have spoken to claim for the things you said they can't claim for, one of the extras husband was a tax man and does the claim form for her. However, all that aside, my question was on the money side of things, Which forms I need to fill in. You assumed wrongly, I haven't completed any forms, I know nothing about tax forms, and earnings, my earnings won't be the same each year so I don't know if it will be above the £2500 or below. Is it gross or net they are talking about on the form. These are the things I wanted to know which I thought you would explain to me, not what I'm allowed to claim for. I've never filled in a tax form, it was automatically deducted from my place of work before I retired. I only started doing extra work last year, I have been retired for years. I got a bill from the tax people last year as I mentioned so just wanted to know how I go about claiming expenses, what forms I need to fill in for doing the work not what I can claim for.

Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.

HI

Thanks for your response

I have answered fully and then offered assistance to take the matters further

I advised "But diesel yes, as this takes you to and from the locations, so work out your mileage undertaken and you can claim 45p a mile for the first 10,000 miles and then its 25p a mile for any mileage in excess of that threshold. And any overnight stays, so the cost of the overnight stay and any subsistence for breakfast. And yes the agents commission is an allowable expense too Any insurances you might have are allowable, as are the costs to travel to apply for a film extra role (and any admin such as stationary stamps telephone, internet use - if you search and apply online) and any magazine purchases you make for job advertisements. And I asked if you wanted any help calculating these then let me know, I also advised what you were not permitted to claim (that you had been given the impression that you could) and the reason why. I am also ex HMRC - having provided education to self employed individuals such as yourself and have worked self assessment for the self employed for 32 years both in HMRC and since 2008 from my own accountancy firm, and whilst I do not want to discredit your friends husband see this link from the business income manual that states hair and clothes are NOT permitted (unless the clothes are safety wear, uniform or logo'd)

If its a period piece, for example

then this can be allowable as you would not wear Elizabethan clothes in your normal day to day life.

And as you have not completed any forms, you should have registered for self assessment within 3 months of this film extra work beginning, so you need to remedy this as a matter of urgency - then you can declare the income (all income, so pensions and this income from being a film extra) and the expenses incurred, which I am happy to advise further on (as already stated)

The mention of the £2500 relates to the amount of expenses to be claimed and is pertaining to the year in question (not an advanced guess) but the P87 form should NOT be completed by you, as you are NOT an employee you are self employed, and so MUST complete self assessment - which I also have already advised

So keeping this simple

1) You can claim for mileage - and I have advised how

2) You can claim for any insurances you have to provide this work

3) You can claim for administrative costs, stationary, postage, telephone and internet (if this is used) and if you need help with this then please advise - I can calculate this for you if you need

4) Magazine purchases to apply for roles

So I am advising HOW this must be undertaken - which is through self assessment as you are self employed - I have covered what you cannot claim as you raised these as a claim issue and I have advised why you cannot claim these (and when you can claim those I have said no to) - I have advised what could be claimed - if you actually incur those expenses, and offered help with how to calculate these, and I have advised on ALL the other points you raised.

I would very much like to help, but lets sort out about what you actually pay out to do this work - and whether the clothing is specialised, and what other out of pocket expenses.

I am sure you can appreciate, with a loaded question, asking for a open request for assistance - I have to explore what you might spend out before offering concrete direction on whether you can claim this back AND how to do this. Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX know I need to fill in a paye form, I didn't know that, because when I phoned the tax office and explained things to them they didn't mention it. It's the same with any person who knows what they are doing in their job they have been doing it for so long they assume everyone knows the basics already. I have been online looking for a paye form but there are so many I'm not sure which to download, but I will try and sort that out. Please collect the rest of the money from my card, I can't say you have beeb particularly helpful. You know what you are doing and what you are talking about but not all of us do. Rather than assume, you need to ask the relevant questions. I did mention claiming expenses but I know what I am going to claim for, I just wanted to know what forms I needed as there are so many. I also needed to know where my pension came into play with my earnings, I will find it easier talking to someone who is on my level rather than talking down to me. Thank you.

Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your response and the feedback

I appreciate what you are saying which is why I go into great details with my answers covering EVERY angle from the questions asked, and the background, and how to take matters forwards, so I am sorry you do not feel I have been very helpful, I shall note this and strive to do better and take note about asking more questions at the beginning, this is useful advise. And I am sorry you felt talked down to, sometimes it hard to get the balance between coming across as condescending, and trying to re emphasise the points that have already been made.

And I just also need to advise, you do not need to fill in a PAYE form - you are Self employed - you need to contact HMRC to register for self assessment by telephoning 0300(NNN) NNN-NNNNthey are open
8.00 am to 8.00 pm, Monday to Friday
8.00 am to 4.00 pm Saturday
Closed Sundays, Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day

I cannot comment on the contact centre staff - but they are often only trained up in what they are supposed to know, from the calls expected on that specific telephone line, so this may be why they were not able to advise beyond the P87 expenses claim for which is for employees only, which is why I have given you the correct telephone number.
And if you still feel dissatisfied with the service, I would be more than happy to request a refund for you, rather than you accept or rate and then have to pay. Let me know and I can organise this for you, or you can contact the customer services yourself and they can arrange this.
Link here for you to do this yourself if you wish.

http://www.justanswer.com/refund/refund-1-2/refund.aspx

Thanks and have a good weekend

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX bit forgetful I meant self assessment form and not paye. You have helped me now, thank you for the number.
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome

And let me know if you wish me to request a refund for you, rather then press accept/rating the level of service

Sam, Accountant
Experience: 26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax