Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

Hello, Laima Baltusnikiene is desperate and needs an urgent

Laima Baltusnikiene is desperate and needs an urgent advice.

Nearly two years ago I came to England. In summer my husband came and we applied for Tax Credit.

At that moment I was the only person who was working. Because my husband was not lucky to find a job and we were in problematic financial position, he left for home because we borrowed too much money. Anyway, it was more than hard time.

Shortly after I sent a letter about our changes and was thinking my Tax money will be revised.

Later my grandfather became very ill and I asked our company to let me work live-in carer position because after every three months I have to go back home and take care of my grandfather for five weeks.

Unfortunatelly, a few monhs later my husband left me. And worse was when I received a letter where I was informed about nearly two thousands pounds overpayment! I sais about this my husband but he refused to help me with the money.

Soon after I send a letter where I was asking about paying back in a few times. Also I explained that my work place is changing and I have not been in my registerd place nearly one year. I have written at that moment my work place. I was waiting for that letter every day. I have tried to call but it was useless, more spent money and no proper contact.

Now I work in Brighton and my sons have come to England. Their agency did not keep promises and I have to help them with the money: pay expensive rent, buy food because they do not earn enough money. We are doing all our best to find a job in Brighton. We are saving money for the rent deposit, tickets and we are hoping to find a job in Brighton as soon as it is possible because since October my sons wish to work and study in the Brighton City College.

I would be more than escaped if you could help me because I do not want to be treated as a criminal because I work hard, pay Taxes and clearly understand I have to pay back overpay but not at one time. I very hope you will help me with this sad situation.

Kind regards XXXXX XXXXX thanks,

Laima Baltusnikiene
Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.

Have the tax credit office advised why you owe this money, is this because the claim did not change to a joint claim when you husband came to the UK.
Did you keep a copy of the letter you sent to the tax credit office advising this change.
How much do you owe, and are you still receiving tax credits.
Did you advise them of your change of job, and the change of money with that change of job?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, Sam

I did not know that they will not receive letter from me and sadly I do not have a copy.

When I changed my client and asked my roommate to send me all the letters to my new address , she was happy to do that. I was sure she will keep her promises. But I was very shocked when I received letters from the office and it was too late to fill in for the Tax Credit, it was not 1st of April , it was more than middle of May.

I just know I sent a letter to Mrs Paul Gerard in Preston and explained my complicated situation and also gave him adress in Woodingdean. I wrote that I cannot receive any letters from Woking ( my registered adress) because my collegues not always are willing to do that.

I do nto receive any money since then and I have asked Mrs Grerad to check my finances because I put in with the letter my PS 60 form.

Many thanks,

Laima Baltusnikiene

Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.
Hi Laima

Thanks for your response

As we do not have access to your tax credit claim, all I can do is advise you how to take this forward.

I know you wrote to the tax credit office telling them about your husband, but did you try and telephone, write when you tax credit claim did not change?
Each year a new tax credit claim has to be made - and this renewal form is sent out April each year and has to be back with the tax credit office by 31st July - did you renew the claim -

Did you tell the tax credit office about your change of job?

Have you been told that you cannot claim tax credits any more because if your income is low, then there might be a claim still due, and if so, then you can pay back what you owe, a little each month (they will deduct some of each payment.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Sam

Yes, I have been told that I cannot claim any more and I just wanted them to check my Form PS60 and if there was a possibility, to deduct of each payment.

Yes, I have told about changes in my work.

I also have tried to call but as you know I did not have much to top up, so I just could write. Even now my money is limited because I have to support my sons.

The problem is I do not receive Tax Credit forms from there and I cannot to fill in and send back.

Coul you help me please what should I do next, I am shaking and afraid to be prosecuted.

Kind regards,

Laima

Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.
Hi Laima

Thanks for you response

I can understand how worrying this is for you, and you must write

You need to put in your letter
1) You advised them when your husband can to the UK and also when you had changed jobs
2) You want them to recheck the figure they say you owe them
4) if you owe this amount, or any other amount then you are happy to pay this back BUT
i) Can they advise whether you are still entitled to claim - and enclose a copy of your P60
ii) If you are still entitled to claim, then can they collect what you owe them a bit at a time as you do not have the money to pay this back in one go.
iii) if you are not allowed to claim, then why not, and you still cannot afford to pay this amount back in one lump sum, so can you set up a direct debit to pay them back a little at a time.

I would also advise you to go and see you local Citizens Advise Bureau, they can help you write the letter and also have sight of all the paperwork you had received from the tax credit office, and it may be that they can find other reasons to help you.

Most of all trey not to worry, you are doing all you can to get help and advise, and clearly want to pay back the money if you owe it, and that is the most important thing. In the meantime.

But as you did not contact them when your claim did not change, or they did not write to say, that they had got your letter - then you should have chased this up, to find out. You do not indicate how much you owe, and maybe you would prefer not to say, but if its less than £1000 then the tax credit office will accept a little at a time - if its more, then they may be less willing to accept small payments.

But at the very least write to them and explain that you do not have the lump sum to pay them back in one go, but can offer them (and then advise what you can afford each month)

The more you stay in touch with them about this money, the better they will treat the situation.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, Sam

Thank you so much. I feel a bit better and I will do what you advice me.

God bless you, you are wonderfull.

I just want to ask if I can write you and ask more questions if I need.

Best regards,

Laima Kiss

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, Sam

I am overpayed 1795.55 pounds.

In the letter it was said they will contact me shortly to ask me to pay back. I have not received any phone calls and was waiting every day. I asked not to send letters to my old place because I cannot collect from there.

Kind regards,

Laima

Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.
Hi Laima

Of course you can come back and ask me more questions.

Even after you accept/rate the service, if its of the same topic, then you can just add further questions, (so you do not have to pay again) or if a new tax topic, then just post a new question, and if you ask for me Sam Tax at the beginning of your post, then the other experts should leave the question for me to answer -

The amount £1795.55 is not a HUGE amount - so they should be willing to let you pay in back a little at a time, and if there is a new/better address (other than the one advising how much money you owe) - then ring them with any new address - to be sure you get every letter they issue!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear am,

Thank you so much and all the best for you.

Best regards,

LaimaKiss

Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.
Hi Laima

You are very welcome

And it would be appreciated if you could take the time to rate/accept and this ensures I am credited for my time