bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

Hi, I wrote to my last employer asking for a statements of

Customer Question

Hi, I wrote to my last employer asking for a statements of earnings and haven't received it yet. It was 2 months ago? Are they obligated by law to send me one? I need it or P45 which was never sent to me, to fill up a p85 form. Any advice would be great. Thank you
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

There is a statutory duty to provide a P45 for a leaving employee. I do appreciate how inconvenient their tardy response can be. Write a very rude letter and threaten to report Royal Mail to HMRC for not operating PAYE correctly. May not do any good. but will release a bit of steam on your part! Back earnings, ie before the 13/14 tax year, should already be in your possession as a P60 will have been produced at the conclusion of each tax year. However, there is no duty on employers to provide such data once a P60 has been issued.

All is not lost, however. If you have your last pay slip you can make a pretty good stab at producing the figures for your P85. Also the last pay slip for the final month of each tax year will give you the data which would be on the P60 anyway.

I do hope I have been able to help.