Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

Hi, I started working as an international rotator in Angola

Customer Question

Hi, I started working as an international rotator in Angola (28on/28off) in August and I get paid out of Dubai so I don't automatically pay uk tax and I'm trying to find out when I should pay my first tax bill.
Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your question, I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.

Have you advised HMRC that you have started this employment abroad, so that you are sent a self assessment tax return after each tax year end?

Have you initially completed a P85 for them, if not, there is a link here for that form, Fill it in and send it into HMRC, let me know if you need an address to send it to.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/p85.pdf

They will then clarify you residency status - which will be resident and liable to UK tax, and then a self assessment is sent after each 5th April for the year just finished, and any tax you owe is paid by the following 31st January.

So if this has recently started, then a self assessment will be issued for completion after 05/04/2014, and has to be back to HMRC by
31st Oct 2014 if completing a paper tax return or
31st Jan 2015 if filing online

And any tax owed is paid by 31st Jan 2015 -