TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

I am intending to open a small business in the first of April

I am intending to open a small business in the first of April and I contacted an accountant who recommended that contact you
Expert:  TonyTax replied 3 years ago.

Can you tell me what you need to know please.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My accountant made it clear that it was important to tell the tax off what in tending to do by setting up a small management consultancy with a target of £20,000. I have tried to to contact the tax office where all get is answer machines and there is no persone who will take me seriously but if this isn't taken seriously I do not intend to become a person of being investigation

Expert:  TonyTax replied 3 years ago.

Will you be working on a self-employed basis or setting up a limited company? What do you do for a living right now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Sir

Many years ago I was growing leeks plants and selling them and someone reported us to the tax people and I do not want to go through that a gain hence my queries

Yours sincerely

Colin Linton

Expert:  TonyTax replied 3 years ago.

Leave this with me while I draft my answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

All I want is to register my intentions of setting up a small business with the Tax Office so cannot get into any bother

Expert:  TonyTax replied 3 years ago.
You can register as self-employed with HMRC here. Follow the instructions to complete the form. You will be issued with a 10 digit universal tax reference number (UTR) by post. You might say that your business will start on 6 April 2014 and have 5 April 2015 as your accounting year end. That way, you won't be issued with a tax return until after 5 April 2015. If you say you will be starting on 1 April, you may be issued with are tax return after 5 April 2014.

If you already have a tax reference number (UTR) from when you were in business previously, complete the form here instead of the one I gave you a link to in the previous paragraph.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks for your reply to my enquiry and I will take your advice by starting my business on the 5th of April 2014. I have great difficulty in contacting the Tax Office can you help me what department I will contact for the right forms you have talked about

If you can help me it will be greatly appreciated

Yours sincerely

Colin Linton

Expert:  TonyTax replied 3 years ago.
Click here, then on "Register a new business for tax and national insurance" and fill in the form.online. At the end, you will send it to the tax office automatically.

If you already have a tax reference number (UTR) from when you were in business previously, complete the online form here instead of the one I gave you a link to in the previous paragraph.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 3 years ago.
Use a start date of 6 April 2014, the first day of the new tax year.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Dear Sir

I have spent at least three hours trying to fill in the Self Assessment Tax Form where all my attempts have been rejected where I have tried every way possible to make the alterations which were mentioned dates and the name of the company were the main points.

Can you help?

Expert:  TonyTax replied 3 years ago.
You aren't registering a company, you are registering as self-employed aren't you. Which form are you trying to complete?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am registered as self employed the dates and the name of the company that kept coming up in red and needed to be amended.

I tried altering them in many ways without success.

Expert:  TonyTax replied 3 years ago.
When did you register as self-employed? Have you set up a limited company? Give me a link to what you are tying to fill in please.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Tony

I am not registered as self employed yet that is what I am trying to do

Expert:  TonyTax replied 3 years ago.
You just said in your last but one post that you were registered as self-employed! Please give me the link to the online form you are trying to complete.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Toni

The most common factor where the red lines are at various dates which point to three figures in each year and the other factors about the name of my firm's name

Expert:  TonyTax replied 3 years ago.

I've asked twice or three times for the internet address of the online form you are trying to fill in. I cannot work blind so please point me at the webpage.

Expert:  TonyTax replied 3 years ago.

Go here and fill in the form. It's an alternative to the one you are probably trying to complete. You don't need to fill in the section for "Authorised Agents".

If you are struggling with dates and company names (you haven't got a company name as you are self-employed so why do you need a company name?) it's probably because you are trying to use a forward date for the start of the business (beyond today's date) and too many letters for the business name. Use your own name and wait until 6 April to register.

Another alternative is to complete the form CWF1 here, print it and then post it to the tax office.

TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience: Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.