taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

What is the difference between Irish Household tax and Property

Customer Question

What is the difference between Irish Household tax and Property Tax?
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to the site. Thank you for your question.

There is no difference between the two...

Household Charge was introduced in 2012 to fund local services and applied to residential property in Ireland even if you were living abroad.. It was an interim measure for one year and the charge was €100.

Local property tax was introduced in 2013 and it replaced Household Charge.
This tax is based on the market value of relevant property and is a self assessment tax so you calculate the tax due based on your own assessment of the market value of the property.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.