TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

We live and own our house in Portugal whilst still having our

Customer Question

We live and own our house in Portugal whilst still having our home in Scotland and paying UK taxes. Although I have provided my UK pension details & copy P60's showing tax deductions, I am being asked for a "Modelo Internacional" certificate from the UK, have you heard of this ?
Expert:  TonyTax replied 3 years ago.

Are you being asked for this document by the Portugal tax authorities? Do you pay any tax in Portugal?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, and we also pay Council tax, Water & Electric rates.

Expert:  TonyTax replied 3 years ago.

Leave this with me while I draft my answer.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 3 years ago.
Hi again.

I suspect that you have been taxed under the non-habitual residents scheme in Portugal which you can read about here and here. This means that your non-Portugal source income is generally not taxed in Portugal so long as it is taxed in the source country, the UK in your case. The Portugal tax authorities are probably asking you to obtain a UK tax residence certificate from HM Revenue & Customs in the UK to certify that you are paying UK tax on your UK source income.

You can apply for such a certificate online here.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.