Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

i have just wrote a question ,given payment details and it

Customer Question

i have just wrote a question ,given payment details and it appears someone has used my email address
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

Please take this up with Customer Service.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hi keith,

I am a sole trader plumber with a few guys that work for me on a cis basis.

i am up to date on my vat and creditors. due to personal circumstances around 3 years ago and with the work climate i have fell behind with my personal liabilities and sort off buried my head in the sand. Im also around 3 months behind on my cis payments but have mayed great inroads on my debt. due to the letters and phone calls i decided to put my flat up for sale in december to release equity to clear debt .however they would like to meet next week as i still owe 60k which i think i can clear 20k and 30k only became payable from the end off this january .i would prefer a payment plan to clear over say 2 years on direct debits. i do have an accountant that does my books and returns but he is quite far away and i don't feel he could help.

regards

rob

Hello Rob

In my opinion you must have a professional person, a solicitor or an accountant with you at this meeting to represent you and negotiate a repayment plan with HMRC. If you try to do this on your own you will be bemused by the unanswerable gobbledegook put out by the other side who will push for an unrealistic method of repayment. Do not enter into any direct debit arrangement with HMRC, you loose control; use a standing order method.

I think you are ill advised to put your flat up for sale unless there is simply no alternative to raise the wind. However, that is a personal opinion.

Keith
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.

You do not representation when you meet with HMRC, they are fair and will see that you are doing all you can to clear your debt with them - and will try and reach a compromise with you to settle the rest in a payment plan,

Just word of warning though, interest will continue to accrue on payments that are late - so be mindful of this

.I used to conduct meetings such as this when with HMRC, and it was about trying to settle the position in a short as time as possible, so you may find that if you can reduce the period of time down from 2 years (although go in and offer this up first) then HMRC will be more willing to play ball.

But offer what you can afford, as you do not want to end up with late payments within the agreed plan which could see HMRC then pursuing for the full amount.

Also by offering direct debit, it shows an intent to comply - which will also work in your favour -(this could even swing the decision to agree to a longer payment plan) as it means that it saves HMRC admin costs and staff time to chase any late payments.

Showing you are willing to sell the property will certainly work in your favour, as HMRC can see a larger one lump sum settlement towards the overall debt - but I do feel that you should be sure of this decision and it could be worth seeking debt advise/financial advise before proceeding.

Let me know if you have any further questions that you feel would be of help to you, but you are clearly making roads in trying to pay off this debt and that's a good thing and that is how HMRC will view this.

If HMRC offer proposals that you are not sure of, then ask them to let you get back in touch after the meeting so you can be sure that you are thinking straight, as I do know that these meetings can feel a little overwhelming and full of worry on the customers part.