Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I recently left my previous employment and am owed commission

I recently left my previous employment and am owed commission payments from them still. They paid me some of the commission in a final wage together with my P45 & P60. Ex employer advised that the balance of commission payments would be paid as a gross figure circa May/June.

My question is:

How can he make a further payment to me when he has already issued a P45 & P60. Does this 'gross figure' he mentions have anything to do with this? I have a feeling he is trying to pull one over on me and is only saying this to fob me off. Can he pay me more once he issues a P45?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 years ago.

Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

Yes, it happens all the time, it's one of the realities of life especially when the matter spans tax years. You need a P45 immediately to get your tax right in a new job.

If he doesn't pay you it's very simple, sue him for the outstanding commission in the Small Claims Court. It costs peanuts to do this and you get those costs back as part of the claim anyway. Claims for unpaid wages are invariably incapable of being defended. Make sure you keep all data in respect of outstanding commissions. Be fair though, he may be perfectly honest!

bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience: FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
Thank you for your support.
Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.
HiSorry to add on, but I thought I would explain how this happens, Your employer will make a payment after leaving, and will issue you with the payment (which I add should be net of tax not gross) and also a letter detailing the additional payment along with any tax suffered.You then just retain this information and add it into your self assessment tax return (if you complete one)If you do in fact get the payment without any tax deducted, then you need to alert HMRC as tax will be due on this payment.Do feel free to ask any follow up questionsThanksSam
Sam, Accountant
Experience: 26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax