Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

Hi, i live with my parents and i am studying at university

Hi, i live with my parents and i am studying at university full time, i have the usual student loan and grants offered. I am not claiming any beneifts and i am a mother to a 3 month old baby and not working at the moment. From Sept 2012 - June 2013 i worked on a cruise ship (10 months) i never paid tax! Do i need to pay now i am back in the country? am i now not entitled to child tax credits for my son?
Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your question, I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.

As you were out of the UK working, for less than a full tax year, then yes, you will be liable to UK tax on this income - as you will be treated as resident throughout the two tax years, this employment spanned over, so liable to UK tax on worldwide income.

You should advise HMRC (and should have completed form P85) when you first left the UK, so HMRC could have provisionally awarded you your residency status, but as you are not back in the UK you just need to register for self assessment for 2012/2013 and 2013/2014 so you can declare this income for the two tax years.

Either telephone HMRC on 0300(NNN) NNN-NNNN
8.00 am to 8.00 pm, Monday to Friday
8.00 am to 4.00 pm Saturday
Closed Sundays, Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day

or register for self assessment here https://online.hmrc.gov.uk/shortforms/form/SA1?dept-name=&sub-dept-name=&location=43&origin=http://www.hmrc.gov.uk

AS you are at university (and most of the student grants and loans are disregarded as income) there will be a valid claim for Child tax credit but not working tax credit, so get in touch with the Tax Credit office on 0345(NNN) NNN-NNNN

8.00 am to 8.00 pm, Monday to Friday
8.00 am to 4.00 pm Saturday
Closed Sunday, Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day

They can issue you with a claim pack

Sam, Accountant
Experience: 26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

You might be entitled to Seafarers Earning's Deduction which would eliminate your cruise ship earnings from UK taxation. This is claimed on your annual self assessment return.

I suggest that you investigate this possibility.
Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.

Just to interject sadly Seafarers Earnings deduction can only apply if at least a 365 day period has been achieved - , so this would not be valid in this case, or I would have highlighted this to you

Link here for clarification

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/eim33003.htm