TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

I CANNOT COMPLETE MY ON LINE TAX ASSESSMENT FOR YEAR ENDING

Customer Question

I CANNOT COMPLETE MY ON LINE TAX ASSESSMENT FOR YEAR ENDING 2013. I HAVE UTR No.XXXXX XXXXX and PASSWORD (OR WHAT I TAKE TO BE SUCH): XXXXXXXXXXX, ALTHOUGH WHICH ORDER THEY GO ON THE FORM I DO NOT KNOW: I HAVE TRIED BOTH WITHOUT SUCCESS> ACCOUNT WILL NOW BE BLOCKED FOR ABOUT 2 HOURS. PLEASE, PLEASE TELL ME WHAT I SHOULD DO TO COMPLETE THE FORM BEFORE I HURL THE COMPUTER OUT OF THE WINDOW AND JUMP OFF A ROCK INTO THE SEA ! SERIOUSLY, THOUGH, I DO NOT THINK I AM STUPID BUT I JUST CANNOT MAKE THIS WORK AND NEED TO SPEAK TO A HUMAN BEING AND NOT SOME MACHINE !

Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.

Hi. I'm sorry that you are having problems.

I assume you are trying to complete a self-assessment tax return for yourself as an individual as opposed to for a limited company. If you enter an incorrect password XXXXX times you will be blocked out for two hours as you have discovered.

If you aren't sure of your password XXXXX you know your user ID, go here and follow the instructions. Select "Individual" and then "Self-Assessment" in Section, 1. In Section 2, choose whether you want to receive the new password XXXXX or via the post and complete Section 3. If you enter the correct information, you will get a new password XXXXX the method you chose, ie by email or post.

If you do not have all the information you need to get a new password XXXXX the automated system, then I'm afraid you will be left with two choices as follows:

1 If you need a new login ID, complete the form here and submit it to HMRC electronically. A new login ID will be sent by post and you will be given instructions to set a new password.

2 Contact the online services helpdesk by calling the number here and speak to somebody who will help you.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes but why then did Gatewway send me a SA Activation Code which does not work wherever you put it ?

Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.
Unless I can see what you are doing I cannot comment but i can assure you that the system works as I use it myself for my own return. The SA activation code has a specific place to go. It cannot go just anywhere. You need to use the activation code before you can use the online tax return completion service.

Yesterday, you said that your password didn't work, not the activation code. That's why I gave you the information in my answer. In order to activate your self-assessment return access, you need your login and your password. The activation code which is a series of letters and numbers hidden behind a flap on the letter that HMRC sent to you is not your password.

Go here, click on Log In, select Self-Assessment and you should find yourself here. Enter your User ID and Password (not the activation code). When you have logged in successfully, you will find a link on the left headed "Services You Can Use". Click on that and then find the Self-Assessment service under which you will find a link to "Activate Service". That's where you enter the activation code so long as it hasn't expired. If the code works you can then access the online self-assessment tax return. The demonstrator here shows you how to use the online tax return completion service. There are instructions you need to follow if you need a new activation code here.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So are you telling me that that series of letters and numbers provided by "Gateway" is not in fact my password at all ? I have probably asked them for my password a dozen times and it seems they just ignore me. But all this correspondence by computer is very difficult to prove when disputing the fine for late filing. All I need, as I have told them countless times, is the password ! I have been using English. Should I be using Urdu or Swahili or something else ?

Please tell me: how do I get the password ?

Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.
You set up your password when you sign up for online services. You then have to wait for an activation code to be sent in the post. The activation code is the series of letters and numbers beneath a removable flap in the letter that HMRC send to you.

I've set out below what you need to do to get a new password.

Go here and follow the instructions. Select "Individual" and then "Self-Assessment" in Section, 1. In Section 2, choose whether you want to receive the new password online or via the post and complete Section 3. If you enter the correct information, you will get a new password by the method you chose, ie by email or post. Clearly, email will be the quickest method.

If you do not have all the information you need to get a new password using the automated system, then I'm afraid you will be left with two choices as follows:

1 If you need a new user ID, complete the form here and submit it to HMRC electronically. A new login ID will be sent by post and you will be given instructions to set a new password or

Let me know how you get on.