TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

My husband is German and receives a pension from Germany, where

My husband is German and receives a pension from Germany, where we live part of the time. We are considering moving to the UK on a permanent basis. As a full resident, would my husband be liable for taxation in England as well as in Germany?
Expert:  TonyTax replied 3 years ago.

UK military pensions paid to UK nationals who live outside the UK are, with a few exceptions, taxable only in the UK under the "government service" rules which also cover civil service pensions and some teaching pensions.

According to Article 18 of the UK/Germany double tax treaty here, pensions paid as a result of service to the German government will be taxable in Germany only unless the recipient is both a resident of the UK and a UK national in which case the pension will be taxable in the UK only. Therefore, as your husband is German his military pension will almost certainly only be taxable in Germany. You ought to confirm that with the pension payer.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.