Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

Hi there, I have a question about becoming an expat in Saudi

Hi there, I have a question about becoming an expat in Saudi Arabia (will be there for several years). I realise I will become non-resident if I stay outside the UK for at least one tax year. However, my wife will remain in a rented property in the UK as my two daughters will continue to go to private school here, and I will support them by sending funds. I don't plan to visit the UK more than what is allowed under residency rules by HRMC. How will HRMC view my wife/children connections in terms of a potential UK tax liability? Thanks. XXXXX
Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.

Hi Michael

Thanks for your question, I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.

As long as your visits to the UK do not exceed more than 90 days each tax year, then you pass one of the automatic tests with the new residency rules, which will allow you to earn all your income abroad, free of UK tax, even if you remit any or all of this to the UK for your wife and children's use.

They in turn will have no UK tax liability on receipt of this money, as its not deemed to be taxable income they are receiving. (They have not earned or created an income from it)

So your ties to the UK do not need to be considered (these only are looked at when the automatic and the UK residency positions are not met)

Do feel free to ask any follow up questions

Thanks Sam