bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I am self employed and have recently had a RTA and been signed

Customer Question

I am self employed and have recently had a RTA and been signed off work by the doctor due to injurys, am I entitled to any form of benefits as I am strugling to pay bills & my mortage. Please advise?

Kind regards XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Keith and happy to help you with your question.

You may be entitled to Employment Support Allowance (ESA) while you are off sick. Put ESA into any decent search engine and the Government web site on the subject will come up. As self employed you have no entitlement to Statutory Sick Pay (SSP).

The second page of the guidance tells you how to claim, this can be done by telephone using an 0800 number.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Information given ok but insuficiant and being told to ring an 0800 number but not given the number is XXXXX helpful.

I have been to see my doctor and have signed certificates of non fitness to work and my wife is struggling to pay the bills on her wages alone.

I need clear advise on how to proceed before I face maybe loosing my house or not able to pay bills and get behind on such things as my tax bill for this year.

On the contrary, look on the Government web site I told you. That gives a whole ramp of contact details. It also tells you what data will be needed to make the claim. It is pointless you telephoning without the information to hand.

Look at that web site, get the information you will need, telephone and make the claim. It also tells you how to claim by form as an alternative and gives you s downloadable specimen
Thank you for your support. I do hope you are successful.