Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I am 65 still working full time, company car, received my state

Customer Question

I am 65 still working full time, company car, received my state pension & private pension. how can I reduce my paye
Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your question I am Sam and I am one of the Uk tax experts here on Just Answer.

Had you sought advise prior to drawing your state pension, I would have suggested considering deferring it whilst you were still employed. This would have allowed at any time after a 12 month period to have started to draw it, with then the option of the accrued lump sum, OR a larger weekly amount.

However as matters stand - the only other option would be whether you were entitled to any expenses through your employment
I would therefore consider, whether your employer covers the business mileage for you with the company car, or whether you suffer this cost yourself.
Do you subscribe to any professional organisations in line with your job
Do you wear a uniform or a logo'd part uniform
Do you pay out for any tools, that your employer does not reimburse you for
Would it be viable to hand back the company car and use your own- and if so, what business mileage do your undertake each year.

Let me know if any these might apply to you, and I can then provide additional information.