How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15933
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

ive had atax rebate, but also a demand for tax now sayimg i

Customer Question

ive had atax rebate, but also a demand for tax now sayimg i owe a thousand but also say i still wor for employer that idint.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TonyTax replied 3 years ago.



I'll need more information than you have given me in your question I'm afraid. Which tax years was the tax repayment for? Were you employed or self-employed in that tax year? Which tax year have you been told you owe tax for? Who has told you that you still work for an employer that you don't work for? Have you received a tax coding which mantions a particular employer? Please give me as much information as you can.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i thin year 2011/2012 then 2012/2013. i wored as carer for 10 hour 1 job and my main job i still work at up untill november i was paying tax but had rebate then i finished work in yhe other job december 2012. tax man still thinks i work in this my employer has written to them to tell the i dont. but now they are demanding more tax. so its the tax man who has said tht


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i do get tax creadedt s i dont no if that makes any differance first thad said it was my main employers fault, then they said i still had my second job then they were goig to split my tax code idont seem to be getting ennywere


Expert:  TonyTax replied 3 years ago.



Can you just confirm that you have a regular job and that you also worked as a carer in 2011/12 and part of 2012/13. Were you working on a self-employed basis as a carer or for an employer who deducted tax and gave you payslips and a P60 at the tax year end? Do you have your P60s for 2011/12 and a P60 for 2012/13 and a P45 from your job as a carer? If so, let me have the pay and tax figures? Have you had any tax calculations form the tax office? They are called P800s.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no i was employed and my empoloyer udsed a company but we have no p60 0r p45 but have reqested this from agency

Expert:  TonyTax replied 3 years ago.



Leave this with me while I draft my answer.

Expert:  TonyTax replied 3 years ago.

Hi again.


If you have not been sent a P800 calculation for each of the tax years concerned, call the tax office on the number here and ask for them. That will give you a starting point. Tell the tax office again that you no longer work the second job and to review your tax code for the current tax year, 2014/15.


I suspect that you may have been given too much in the way of personal allowances between the two jobs or your income was at a level which took you into the 40% tax band and you were only paying 20%. Without the figures and the P800s its impossible for me to say definitively what the problem is and what has caused it.


When you started the second job, you should have been asked to complete a P46 to confirm whether you had more than source of income or not. Unless the agency employer informed the tax office electronically of your status as their employee, they should have sent the P46 to the tax office for tax coding instructions. Unfortunately, many agency employers cut corners with their PAYE responsibilities and leave it to employees to pick up the pieces.


When you have received the P800 tax calculations check that they are correct. Then, write to the tax office and ask for an explanation as to why you are underpaid. Ask the tax office to consider your eligibility for relief from paying the tax under Extra Statutory Concession A19 which you can read about here. I doubt you will qualify to be frank. Secondly, ask them to consider whether the employer is at fault for PAYE errors and which HMRC think they should pay the tax underpayment caused by their errors. You can read about employer PAYE error here.


If the tax office won't write off the tax or make your former employer pay it, then you are left with writing to The Adjudicator's Office and ultimately to The Parliamentary Ombudsman but while your case is considered the tax office will still want you to pay the tax owing.


I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Related Tax Questions